My aim is to educate the urban population on the benefits of raising ones own food, and to bring to light the misconceptions people might have about the raising of poultry in an urban setting. As more and more people attempt to live sustainably and connect with their local food sources, it becomes even more important to bridge the disconnect between animal products sold in stores and the reality of animal product food production.
Basically, I want to eat fresh, local, and know what goes into the production of my food. I’m also a bit of a control freak, so producing my own produce and eggs goes a long way to satisfying my needs.
I’ve put together this site for several reasons:
- to serve as reference material in southeastern michigan & Ferndale for those interested in chicken ordinance verbiage & the keeping of hens
- to document the work it took to get our ordinance to change to allow backyard hens for everyone in Ferndale, not just those with huge lots
- to address myths and concerns around urban chicken keeping
- to serve as a compendium of local information for poultry/fowl keepers and urban farmers
- to document my everyday dealing with hens, dogs, a cat, and the ever changing landscape of metro Detroit
Find me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/detroitlauramikulski/
Find me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/lauramikulski
Find me on Google+: https://plus.google.com/117968003206760821370#117968003206760821370/about/p/pub